President Goodluck Jonathan has inaugurated the Victim Support Fund established by the Federal Government to take care of victims of terrorism and violence across the country.
Donations can be made here: http://victimsupportfund.ng/donate/
According to the President, he said terrorism will be defeated in Nigeria the same way it is defeated in other parts of the world, insisting that if they could not win the people of the Middle East, United States among others, they will not succeed in Nigeria
The Coordinator of the National Information Center, Mr. Mike Omeri, disclosed this in an interview with Channels Television’s in Abuja on Monday.
He told the correspondent that the Federal Government had set aside $30m to endow the fund while the committee would work out the modalities for mobilising more funds from the private sector.
Omeri, who is also the Director General of the National Orientation Agency, said children and spouses of soldiers who were victims of terrorism in all parts of the country would also benefit from the fund.
“Everybody who qualifies to benefit from the fund can apply and be assisted depending on the procedure to be worked out by the committee,” he said.
The decision to establish the fund was reportedly taken to the National Council of States in Abuja last week.
President Jonathan, who was speaking while inaugurating the T.Y Danjuma led committee, called on all Nigerians to support his administration and pledged his unwavering determination to provide succor to victims of terror.
Omeri said that given the experience garnered by the Federal Government in raising funds for victims of floods in the past, it is going to do better in raising funds for the victims of terrorism in the country.
Committee On Victims Support Fund
In her effort to scale up support for victims of insurgency and terror attacks nationwide, the Nigerian Government has constituted a Committee on Victims Support Fund to mobilize resources and administer appropriate support to victims of insurgency and Boko Haram terror activities all over the country.
Accordingly, the President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, has approved the composition and appointment of members of the Committee on Victims Support Funds as follows:
- Gen. TY Danjuma, GCON – Chairman
- Mr. Fola Adeola – Deputy Chairman
- Alh. Mohammed Indimi – Member
- Alh. Abdulsamad I. Rabiu – Member
- Alh. Sani Dauda – Member
- Mrs. Folorunsho Alakija – Member
- Mr. Cosmas Maduka – Member
- Mr. Jim Ovia – Member
- Mr. Wale Tinubu – Member
- Alh. Sani Sidi, DG, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) – Member
- Air Vice Marshal Tony Omenyi (Representing Defence Headquarters) – Member
- CP Salisu Fagge, representing Nigerian Police Force – Member
- Mr. Sayana Yusuf, representing Department of State Services – Member
- Chief Uche Secondus, PDP Deputy National Chairman (South) – Member
- Alh. Tijani Tunsah, APC Deputy National Chairman (North) – Member
- Representative of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) – Member
- Representative of Jamaatul Nasril Islam (JNI) – Member
- Chief(Mrs.) Nkechi Mba, Representing National Council of Women Societies – Member
- Prof. Ben Angwe, Executive Secretary, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) – Member
- Representative of the United Nations (UN) – Member
- Representative of Department for International Development (DFID) – Member
- Representative of Unites States Agency for International Development (USAID) – Member
- Representative of International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) – Member
- Alh. Balarabe Musa, Representing Conference of Nigerian Political Parties (CNPP) – Member
- Two (2) Representatives of Local Civil society/Youth Groups (Male & Female) – Members.
- Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF) – Secretariat
According to the press release by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim, the Committee would be inaugurated by the President on Wednesday, July 16, 2014 by 10.00am at the Council Chamber, Aso Villa, Abuja.