PERHAPS, motivated by the new automotive policy of the Federal Government, The Guardian Monday learnt that about three automakers are already jostling to take over the production lines of the moribund Anambra Motor Manufacturing Company, (ANAMMCO), Enugu.
The Chairman of the company Chief Godwin Okeke, however said the organisation is awaiting the final decision of the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE)’s on the bidders.
He said agreement had been reached on how much should be paid to the former owners to hands off the plant, which previously produced Mercedes Benz trucks and buses.
“We are waiting for BPE to say `pay off’ and the deal is done. We are ready with the money; what is delaying it is BPE approval,’’ he said.
The renowned transporter declined to name the automakers that are involved in the deal, but said they were ready to move in if given the approval.
“Once these people are paid off, two or three companies are ready to move in,’’ he said.
Okeke had last year appealed to the National Automotive Council to intervene in the acquisition process in the spirit of the new automotive policy initiative of the government.
He said that the former owners of the company were unduly delaying the process.
ANAMMCO is a joint venture between the Federal Government of Nigeria and Daimler Chrysler AG.
Before it became moribund, ANAMMCO manufactured commercial vehicles and led in the commercial vehicle market with five tonnes capacity and above in Nigeria.